I wanted to go in farther to talk more about this project on how I built it using the tools I learned at The Software Guild.
This project was created on a mysql server locally after we spent two weeks at the software guild learning about databases. It has a one to one and one to many relationship. After graduating from The Software Guild I moved the database to an AWS RDS server and learned a lot about IP rules.
When I started the project I was not too familiar with what spring mvc was, or relate it to other ways to make a framework. After this project I learned more about Spring boot and was amazed on how much shorter the development time was. This project is still a spring mvc framework, but I have created a contact application that was spring boot with a database in the background.
I learned a lot about mapping the project to connect the website to the back and server where it can dynamically update the website. @RequestMapping is your friend, and make sure you follow name principals across the board. This is something that has caused a lot of time delays because different objects are named differently in different places.
Going farther in to the controllers we used JSP and Servlet language to complete the architecture of the controller.
I learned more about wiring with attaching the database to the program, and setting up the beans to make sure the application knows how to talk to the database.
Dependencies! I still have a lot to learn more about this and frameworks, but what I have learned so far is that you need this code to work for the wiring to work.
Today I decided I needed to create a task lisk of things I need to fix on this website, and things I am thinking I want to implement.
Things to fix:
1. I can't delete a user that has an active post. To fix this I need to create a jdbc call to get all the post that a user has, and then create another call to delete the bridge of post and tags. I already have it coded, but it appears to not be working and I am getting a null pointer. I have a get all post with a tag working so I will be cross referencing the code to find out what is going wrong.
2. The tabs are not laid out in a simple way the administrator functions to allow for fluid clicking.
Things to do:
1. Attach it to a domain name that I own to the aws beanstalk and route53.
2. Find out the best way to bring images into the database, or decide it is best to references images into the images folder of the war file.
3. Bring in a more refined bootstrap layout to the page.